Intricately engraved antique bond certificate from the New York Telephone Company dating back to the 1960's. This document, which carries the printed signatures of the company Vice President and Assistant Secretary, was printed by the Security-Columbian Bank Note Company, and measures approximately 10 1/4" (w) by 14" (h).
The certificate's primary vignette features the New York Telephone headquarters building flanked by Niagara Falls and a lighthouse. Allegorical figures frame the scene. There are also a total of eight small vignettes in the border, including a line worker, an old rotary phone, a technician and a farming scene.
You will receive the exact certificate pictured.
Western Union subsidiaries, including Atlantic and Pacific Telegraph, Gold and Stock Telegraph, and American Speaking Telephone, based their New York and San Francisco operations on the telephone exchange principle and thus were larger and more advanced than the local Bell operations. Under the November 1879 settlement of the Elisha Gray patent infringement lawsuit, Western Union handed over its telephone operations to National Bell Telephone, which then renamed itself American Bell Telephone. The merged local company was called the Metropolitan Telephone and Telegraph Company.
The New York and New Jersey Telephone Company, a Bell licensee serving Long Island and Staten Island, was broken up and its New York properties merged with the New York company as the City and Suburban Telephone Company in 1897. American Telephone and Telegraph (AT&T) eventually acquired a controlling interest and restored the New York Telephone name.