Nicely engraved antique bond certificate from the state of New York dating back to the 1910's and 1950's. This document, which is signed by the State Deputy Comptroller, was printed by Quayle & Son, and measures approximately 9 1/4" (w) by 14 3/4" (h).
This certificate features a vignette of the New York State Seal.
You will receive the exact certificate pictured.
In 1903 New York State legislature authorized construction of the "New York State Barge Canal" as the "improvement of the Erie, the Oswego, the Champlain and the Cayuga and Seneca Canals". In 1905, construction of the Barge Canal began; it was completed in 1918, at a cost of $96.7 million. It opened to through traffic May 15, 1918.
The Barge Canal's new route took advantage of rivers (such as the Mohawk River, Oswego River, Seneca River, Genesee River and Clyde River) that the original Erie Canal builders had avoided, thus bypassing some major cities formerly on the route, such as Syracuse and Rochester. However, particularly in western New York State, the canal system uses the same (enlarged) channel as the original Erie Canal. In 1924 the Barge Canal built the Gowanus Bay Terminal in Brooklyn to handle canal cargo.
This bond was issued to help pay off the construction costs.