Beautifully engraved antique stock certificate from the New York & Fort Lee Rail Road Company dating back to the 1800's. This document measures approximately 10 1/2" (w) by 6 1/2" (h).
The vignette on this piece shows a train at a busy waterfront station. A paddlewheeler and two people in a row boat appear in the foreground.
You will receive the exact certificate pictured.
In 1861, six years before the organization of the National Storage Company, the New York & Bulls Ferry Railroad was incorporated. The following year it was reincorporated as the New York & Fort Lee Railroad, but it was not opened until 1870. It then ran from a connection with the Erie in Hoboken or Jersey City to a point in the present Weehawken yard of the West Shore Railroad, a distance of about 21/2 miles. It crossed the Lackawanna, but there is no indication that it was intended as a belt-line railroad.
When the West Shore was built in the 80's the tracks of the New York & Fort Lee Railroad became enveloped in the Weehawken yard, and the line was leased to the New Jersey Junction Railroad, which the New York Central, the new owner of the West Shore, organized in 1886 to effect a connection with the roads to the south. By the merging of other lines the New Jersey Junction reached the Lackawanna, the Erie and the Pennsylvania, and then the Lehigh Valley brougiit itself and the Central of New Jersey into the system with its National Docks & New Jersey Connecting Railway.