Beautifully engraved antique bond certificate from the New York Central and Hudson River Railroad Company dating back to the 1910's. This document, which has been signed by the company Vice President and Assistant Secretary, was printed by the American Bank Note Company, and measures approximately 10" (w) by 15" (h).
This certificate's vignette features New York's Grand Central Station and the Manhattan skyline.
The New York Central Railroad officially came into existence on July 7, 1853 as a consolidation of the Albany and Schenectady; Schenectady and Troy; Utica and Schenectady; Syracuse and Utica; Rochester and Syracuse; Buffalo and Lockport; Mohawk Valley; Syracuse and Utica Direct; Buffalo and Rochester; and Rochester, Lockport and Niagara Falls Railroads.
The New York Central eventually merged with the Hudson River Railroad Company to form the mighty New York Central and Hudson River Railroad. In 1968, it merged with the Pennsylvania Railroad, to form the Penn Central conglomerate.