Beautifully engraved antique bond certificate from the New Jersey Bell Telephone Company dating back to the 1950's. This document, which carries the printed signatures of the company President and Treasurer, was printed by the American Bank Note Company, and measures approximately 10" (w) by 15" (h).
The certificate's primary vignette features George Washington's Morristown, New Jersey headquarters building flanked by a pair of allegorical figures. There are also a total of eight small vignettes in the border, including a line worker, operator, a man using a phone at a horse race and an old rotary phone.
You will receive the exact certificate pictured.
The New Jersey Bell Telephone Company was originally known as the Delaware & Atlantic Telephone and Telegraph Company. In 1927, the company purchased all of the New Jersey properties of the New York Telephone Company and was renamed the New Jersey Bell Telephone Company, a subsidiary of the American Telephone & Telegraph Company.
On January 1, 1984, with the divestiture of AT&T and break up of the Bell system, New Jersey Bell became part of Bell Atlantic. In 1997, Bell Atlantic acquires NYNEX – becoming the second largest phone company in the United States (behind AT&T). In 1998, Bell Atlantic and GTE (General Telephone & Electronics) merge to form one of the country’s premier communications companies – the following year, the company is renamed Verizon.