Intricately engraved antique stock certificate from the Natomas Company of California dating back to the 1910's. This document, which is signed by the compay Vice President and Assistant Secretary, was printed by the Republic Bank Note Company and measures approximately 12 1/2" (w) by 9" (h).
This certificate features a beautiful vignette of a stately eagle.
You will receive the exact certificate pictured.
The Natomas Company of California was incorporated in California on December 24, 1914 as a reconsolidation of Natomas Consolidated Company.
The Natomas Consolidated Company was formed on January 1, 1909 from the consolidation of the Folsom Development Company, Natomas Development Company, El Dorado Gold Dredging Company and the Natomas Vineyard Company. The only other Folsom area dredging company that remained after the merger was the Ashburton Mining Company.
In the first year of operation the company’s seven dredges worked over 321 acres of land and 13,975,185 cubic yards of gravel. In 1909, the Natomas Consolidated also took over the holdings of the Cherokee Gold Dredging Company, and the Feather River Exploration Company operations near Oroville. These operations gave the company and addtional 1,364 acres. The Natomas Consolidated was then said to be the second largest dredging company in the state.
Among the other goals of the company was reclamation of the lands they dredged. Shortly after the first dredges arrived in the area, J. H. Legget of Oroville discovered the remaining tailing mounds were found rich in clay and volcanic ash. The combination of this soil and the surrounding stone resulted in soil which retained moisture nearly two feet below the surface, even in the heat of summer. Further experiments found the land suitable for farming when it was cleared and leveled. The Natomas Consolidated planted several experimental farms, including a grove of Blue Gum Eucalyptus in Oroville and an Orange Grove near Natoma. Land to the east of Natoma was leased as experimental orchards, the land west was used for Wheat.
In 1911, the company completed its newest dredger - #8 - at the time the largest dredger in the world.