Nicely engraved antique stock certificate from the Natomas Company dating back to the 1950's. This document, which carries the printed signatures of the company President and Secretary, was printed by the Security Bank Note Company and measures approximately 11 3/4" (w) by 7 3/4" (h).
The vignette on this piece shows a large dredger.
You will receive the exact certificate pictured.
The region around Folsom and Mormon Bar, California was extensively placer-mined during the gold rush, with minor lode mining. The area was originally settled in 1849 and first known as Negro Bar. The present town was laid out in 1855 by T. D. Judah for the Sacramento Valley Railroad and named for Captain J. L. Folsom, quartermaster of Stevenson's Regiment. Numerous Chinese worked the region from the 1860s through the 1890s.
A primitive grab-dredger was active at Natoma in 1894. Bucket-line dredging began at Folsom in 1898 and soon became. a major industry. Most of the dredging companies were merged into Natomas Consolidated of California in 1908. This firm, later known as the Natomas Company (the company was reorganized in 1928), was the principal operator in the district. The company designed and built its own dredges at extensive shops in the town of Natoma. In 1916, 11 active dredges yielded more than $2 million worth of gold.
In 1956, Natomas merged with APL Associates, Inc, before being acquired by Diamond-Shamrock in 1983.