Nicely engraved antique stock certificate from the Nashua and Lowell Railroad Corporation dating back to the 1910's. This document, which is signed by the company President and Treasurer, was printed by the American Bank Note Company, and measures approximately 11" (w) by 7 1/2" (h).
This certificate features a vignette of a train steaming down the tracks.
You will receive the exact certificate pictured.
The Lowell and Nashua Railroad was chartered in 1836 as an extension of the Boston & Lowell Railroad from Lowell north to the New Hampshire state line. The Nashua and Lowell Railroad Company, chartered in 1835, would continue the line in New Hampshire to Nashua. The Nashua and Lowell was New Hampshire’s first railroad. The first locomotive engine ever seen in New Hampshire headed a Nashua and Lowell train in Union Square, Nashua Village in October 1838; it was then described by eyewitnesses as “a super-natural wonder”. Union Square was enthusiastically renamed Railroad Square.
The two companies merged in 1838 to form a new Nashua and Lowell Railroad Corporation, and the road opened later that year. In 1857 the Boston & Lowell and Nashua & Lowell agreed to operate as one company, and in 1880 the Boston & Lowell leased the Nashua & Lowell.
The Boston and Maine Railroad acquired the railroad in 1895.