Nicely engraved antique stock certificate from the Mount Carbon and Port Carbon Rail Road Company dating back to the 1930's. This document, which is signed by the company President and Treasurer, was printed by the American Bank Note Company and measures approximately 11 1/2" (w) by 8 1/4" (h).
You will receive the exact certificate pictured.
This road was incorporated by an act of Assembly approved July 16th, 1842. The route designated in the charter was from "the lower landings at Mount Carbon, at or near the termination of the Philadelphia and Reading Railroad;" thence to pass across the river Schuylkill to Port Carbon. By a supplement passed April 14th, 1843, the time for its commencement and completion was extended to one and three years respectively from the date of the supplement.
It was built as provided by its charter, and connected with the Philadelphia and Reading Railroad at Mount Carbon, and with the Mill Creek and Schuylkill Valley railroads at Port Carbon. The first locomotive and cars passed over it in November, 1844—a year after its commencement. It was empowered to construct branches to mines, furnaces, etc., of other companies by an act of April 25th, 1854.
May 5th, 1855, an act was passed authorizing the sale of this road; and in accordance with the provisions of this act it was sold to the Philadelphia and Reading Railroad Company.