Beautifully engraved antique stock certificate from the Monongahela Power and Railway Company dating back to the early 1900's. This document, which has been signed by the company President and Assistant Secretary, was printed by the Republic Bank Note Company and measures approximately 11 3/4" (w) by 8 1/2" (h).
This certificate's vignette features one of the company's electric trolleys.
You will receive the exact certificate pictured.
In the summer of 1890, Fairmont Electric Light and Power began operating a 30-kilowatt plant on the Monongahela River, providing the city with electric lights. By 1900, the Schmulbach brewing interests of Wheeling acquired control of Fairmont Electric and built Fairmont’s first electric streetcar line. A second plant with a capacity of 210 kilowatts was built. In 1903, local businessmen bought the company back and incorporated it as the Fairmont and Clarksburg Traction Company.
As demand for lighting and other purposes supplanted electric streetcars as the major market for electricity, the company name and corporate strategy continued to evolve. In 1921, the company changed its name to Monongahela Power and Railway Company. Two years later, it was renamed Monongahela West Penn Public Service Company. The company continued to grow through acquisition and expansion, serving an increasing number of customers as the demand for electricity rose. By 1944, the company was completely out of the streetcar business, and in 1945 the corporate name was changed to Monongahela Power Company.