Beautifully engraved antique bond certificate from the Mobile and Northwestern Railroad Company dating back to the 1880's. This document was printed by S. C. Toof & Co. Lith. of Memphis, and measures approximately 13 1/4" (w) by 11 3/4" (h).
This certificate features a nice vignette of a train passing a paddlewheeler.
You will receive the exact certificate pictured.
The Mobile and Northwestern Railroad Company was chartered under the laws of Alabama on February 20, 1870, and in Mississippi on July 20, 1870. The proposed road was to run from Mobile to Hattiesburg, Mississippi, thence to Jackson, and on northwestward to a point on the Mississippi River opposite Helena, Arkansas.
Surveys for this entire line were run, and construction was begun, at both ends of the project. More work was done at the Helena end of the line than in the Mobile area but no commercial service was ever offered by the Mobile and Northwestern. The dream remained, but the drive to accomplish was lacking, so the project lay dormant for almost 16 years. The 24 miles of graded roadbed from Mobile to Wilmer, Alabama was allowed to go unused, of course suffering deterioration, but was not entirely lost.
By 1887 the demand for Southern pine timber was so strong that the project was revived under control of a new company called the Mobile, Hattiesburg and Jackson Railroad Company. This line was also chartered by both Alabama and Mississippi as separate companies which were later consolidated into one company known as the Mobile, Jackson and Kansas City Railroad Company. This merged company which came into existence on February 20, 1890, was unable to renew the work for a number of years, but it did run additional surveys. By December, 1896, the company was finally able to get construction started on the first 50-mile sector of the line. The driving force behind this new start to build the railroad was Frank B. Merrill of Mobile, who, like Falkner of Ripley, also carried the title of colonel.
The line was officially conveyed to the Mobile, Jackson and Kansas City Railroad on November 13, 1891.