Intricately engraved antique stock certificate from the Missouri, Kansas and Texas Extension Railway Company dating back to the 1880's. This document, which is signed by the company President and Secretary, was printed by the American Bank Note Company, and measures approximately 10 3/4" (w) by 7" (h).
The vignette on this piece shows the locomotive and tender America steaming past two boys. The Texas Star appears at the bottom center.
You will receive the exact certificate pictured.
The Missouri, Kansas and Texas Extension Railway Company was chartered on July 28, 1877, as the Denison and Southeastern Railway Company; the name was changed on March 23, 1880. The railroad was projected to run fifty miles between Denison and Greenville and 150 miles between Denison and Belknap. The capital stock was $200,000.
The members of the first board of directors were W. Whitewright, Edward W. Bell, N. L. McCready, William H. Appleton, J. P. Rockwell, Edward Harding, Sam Hanna, Alexander W. Acheson, and R. C. Foster. The Denison and Southeastern had completed twenty miles from Denison to Whitewright, and acquired the thirty-six miles of the Denison and Pacific Railway between Denison and Gainesville before the name change to Missouri, Kansas and Texas Extension Railway.
The Missouri, Kansas and Texas Extension completed the thirty-two miles from Whitewright to Greenville and was acquired by the Missouri, Kansas and Texas on November 26, 1881. The line became part of the Missouri, Kansas and Texas Railway Company of Texas on November 18, 1891.