Nicely engraved antique stock certificate from the Mississippi River Corporation dating back to the 1960's. This document, which carries the printed signatures of the company President and Secretary, was printed by the American Bank Note Company and measures approximately 12" (w) by 8" (h).
This certificate's vignette features two male figures flanking an oil well, a mill, a pipeline and a train.
This company was originally incorporated on February 8, 1928 as the Mississippi River Fuel Corporation by the Standard Oil Company (New Jersey), Columbian Carbon Company, United Carbon Company, Electric Power & Light Corporation, Moody-Seagraves and Palmer Corporation.
The Company operated gas pipelines from the Richmond and Monroe gas fields in Louisiana to customers in Arkansas, Missouri and Illinois.
In 1949, William G. Marbury became president of the company and began to diversify the business of the company. In 1959 shares of the much larger railway Missouri Pacific Railroad were acquired. By 1962, the company owned a majority vote in the Missouri Pacific. Due to the capital structure of the Missouri Pacific with different shareholder rights, a legal dispute with the Alleghany Corporation concerning the corporate control. This conflict was finally resolved in 1974 through a recapitalization and the Mississippi River Fuel was given full control of the railway company. At this time, Mississippi River Fueld Corporation owned 66.3% of the shares.
In 1963 and 1964, the company acquired several businesses in the concrete and cement production. In 1965, the company was renamed Mississippi River Corporation. In 1974, the three main subsidiaries were the railway company, Mississippi River Transmission Corporation (gas pipelines operation) and the cement manufacturer River Cement Company.
1976, the company became the Missouri Pacific Corporation. In 1980, the company agreed with Union Pacific Corporation to merge the two companies. The merger was approved on December 22, 1982.