Intricately engraved antique stock certificate from the Milwaukee and Prairie du Chien Railway Company dating back to the 1860's. This document, which is signed by the company representative for the President, was printed by Latimer Bros. & Seymour, Stationers, of New York and measures approximately 9 3/4" (w) by 6" (h).
This certificate's vignette features a train rounding a rocky bend.
You will receive the exact certificate pictured. Please note paper loss at center.
The earliest ancestor of the Milwaukee Road was the Milwaukee and Waukesha Rail Road Company, established February11, 1847. This company changed its name to the Milwaukee & Mississippi Railroad Company three years later. The company was consolidated with the Madison and Prairie du Chien Rail Road Company (established in 1852) in May of 1853, retaining the Milwaukee & Mississippi name.
At one point, the Milwaukee and Mississippi had in operation or under construction lines extending from Milwaukee to Prairie du Chien, Milwaukee to New Lisbon, and Racine to Beloit, among others. The system had about 620 miles of line by the end of 1857. The Milwaukee & Mississippi eventually defaulted on its bonds, and was purchased by the bondholders who reorganized it as the Milwaukee and Prairie du Chien Railway Company on January 21, 1861.
This company was sold to the Milwaukee and St. Paul Railway Company in 1867. The Milwaukee and St. Paul changed its name to the Chicago, Milwaukee and St. Paul Railway Company in 1874.