Beautifully engraved antique stock certificate from the Mill Creek and Mine Hill Navigation and Railroad Company dating back to the 1940's. This document, which is signed by the company President and Treasurer, was printed by the American Bank Note Company and measures approximately 10 3/4" (w) by 7" (h).
The vignette features a train crossing a bridge, with a second train crossing another bridge in the background.
You will receive the exact certificate pictured.
The Mill Creek and Mine Hill Navigation and Railroad Company was a narrow gauge road incorporated in Pennsylvania in 1828.
The company’s offices were located in Philadelphia.
The line was incorporated “to make a complete canal or slackwater navigation or railroad, in the whole or in part, as to them shall seem most expedient, from a point at or near the mouth of Mill Creek, on the River Schuylkill, to a point on the Centre Turnpike, at or near the foot of the Broad Mountain," a distance of 5.637 miles.
The Mill Creek and Mine Hill Navigation and Railroad Company was one of a number of companies incorporated between the years 1826 and 1829 to develop the anthracite region of Schuylkill County upon the value of that fuel becoming known and markets being established for it. Prior to the opening of the Schuylkill Canal in 1820, the coal lands of Schuylkill County were practically valueless because of their inaccessibility and the ignorance of the people as to the great worth of that coal as fuel for manufacturing and domestic purposes.
The company operated for over 120 years before shutting down on 1950.