Intricately engraved antique stock certificate from the Michigan Southern and Northern Indiana Rail-Road Company dating back to the 1850's. This document, which is signed by the company President and Treasurer, was printed by John W. Amerman, Printer, and measures approximately 10 1/4" (w) by 7" (h).
This certificate's vignette features a beautiful canal scene, with a train crossing a bridge in the background and a man, horse and dog in the foreground.
You will receive the exact certificate pictured.
In 1855, the Northern Indiana Railroad was consolidated with the Michigan Southern to form the Michigan Southern and Northern Indiana Rail-Road Company. In 1856, the line obtained the lease of the Detroit, Monroe & Toledo Railroad, then unfinished, and this finally connected the points named in its title.
In 1869, the company was consolidated with the Lake Shore Railway (previously known as the Cleveland, Painesville and Ashtabula Railway, which had previously acquired the Toledo and Cleveland Railroad), becoming the Lake Shore & Michigan Southern Railway. The consolidation from Buffalo to Chicago was completed on August 10th, 1869, when the Buffalo & Erie Company came into the scheme, and this great railroad and commercial force of to-day became an accomplished fact.