Nicely engraved antique stock certificate from Metrolpolitan 5 to 50 Cent Stores, Inc. dating back to the 1920's. This document, which is signed by the company President and Secretary/Treasurer, was printed by W. H. Wright of New York and measures approximately 11 1/2" (w) by 8 3/4" (h).
You will receive the exact certificate pictured.
Metropolitan 5 to 50 Cent Stores, Inc. was incorporated in Delaware on April 1, 1917 as a consolidation under unified management of the 25 stores formerly operated by the Smith-Lane Company, Syracuse; the Lane Stores Company, Salt Lake City, and Kaye Stores, Milwaukee. On May 15 of that year the Egan Store of Lafayette, Indiana was added, and on October 1, the chain of 10 stores owned by the S & H Stores, Inc., New York.
On February 15, 1918, the chain was further increased through the addition of a central warehouse and distributing depot at Buffalo and the purchase of the following chain store systems:
- Grand 5 and 10 Cent Stores, Pittsburgh
- People's 5 and 10 Cent Stores, Buffalo
- Independent 5 and 10 Cent Stores, New York
- Lincoln Stores Co., Lincoln, Nebraska
Two new stores were also opened - one at Philadelphia and one at Pittsburgh - increasing the chain to 86 stores.
By 1921, the company had 145 locations.
The company was originally based in Buffalo, but eventually moved to New York City.