Beautifully engraved antique stock certificate from the Mercury Machine Company dating back to the early 1900's. This piece, which is signed by the company President and Treasurer, was printed by William H. Hoskins of Philadelphia and measures approximately 12" (w) by 8" (h).
The certificate's vignette features the Pennsylvania State Seal.
You will receive the exact certificate pictured.
The Mercury Machine Company of 1328 Olive Street in Philadelphia produced a medium-sized, medium-priced gasoline car with a look much heavier and more expensive than it was.
The car was a 1,250 pound runabout on a 78-inch wheelbase powered by a single-cylinder 7 hp engine. The engine together with the three-speed planetary transmission were mounted “exactly in the lateral center,” according to The Automobile, “to assure good balance.”
The car's frame was angle iron, the entire mechanism and body being attached to it, with no perches used to connect front and rear axles, on which were mounted the semi-elliptic springs. Sturdy wood wheels were shod with three-inch double tube tires. The vehicle was wheel steered, and final drive was by shaft.
At $925, the Mercury was a fine buy, and the car quite progressive for the period.