Beautifully engraved antique bond certificate from the Borough of Manheim, Pennsylvania dating back to the 1870's. This document, which is signed by the city Burgess, Secretary and Chairman of the Finance Commission, was printed by Helfenstein, Lewis & Greene, Lith. of Philadelphia and measures approximately 17 3/4" (w) by 17" (h) - including the the first four rows of coupons at the bottom.
Fantastic piece with four beautiful vignettes featuring the Pennsylvania State Seal, a train, a farmer using a horse-drawn plow, and the Liberty allegory.
You will receive the exact certificate pictured.
Manheim is a borough in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania. It was named after Mannheim, in Germany.
Manheim was laid out by Henry William Stiegel in 1762 on a land tract in Rapho Township, Pennsylvania, though it wasn't incorporated until 1838. He set out to build an industrial empire and founded the Manheim Glassworks. After financial failure, he was forced to sell the development in 1775. After several failed attempts at resurrecting the Manheim Glassworks, it closed in 1780.
The first railroad train came into Manheim on January 1, 1862, with the completion of the first division of the Columbia and Reading Railroad. In 1884, another forward step was the laying of water pipes and the beginning of service by the Manheim Electric Company, which set up a plant in Bomberger's Mill at the end of Mill Street.