Beautifully engraved antique stock certificate from the Mahoning and Shenango Railway and Light Company dating back to the 1910's. This document, which is signed by the company President and Treasurer, was printed by the American Bank Note Company and measures approximately 12" (w) by 8" (h).
This certificate's supurb vignette features a topless allegorical female figure holding a light. Behind her are Ben Franklin's kite, a dynamo and a trolley.
You will receive the exact certificate pictured.
The Mahoning & Shenango Railway & Light Company operated the lines of the New Castle Electric Street Railway Company and the New Castle & Mahoningtown Street Railway Company, as well as The New Castle & Lowell Railway Company, a line extending from New Castle to Lowellville in the state of Ohio, where it connected with the Mahoning Valley system extending to Struthers, Haselton, Youngstown, Niles, Warren and Leavittsburg; and the Sharon & New Castle Street Railway Company extending from New Castle to Hubbard, Ohio, where it connected with the Youngstown & Sharon Railway Company.
The power plant of the Mahoning & Shenango Valley Railway & Light Company was built in 1895 on North Street by the New Castle Electric Company. Their equipment then was five 150-H.P. Buckeye engines, driving three 80-light Wood arc machines, two 75-K.W. single-phase alternations, one 75-K.W. D.C. power generator, and two 200-H.P. boilers. Since that time the plant has been enlarged by the installation of two 250-K.W. engine-driven railway generators; one 300-K.W. engine-driven railway generator; two 1,000-K.W. Parsons steam turbine; two 75-K.W. engine-driven exciters; one 500-K.W. railway motor generator set; one 200-K.W. railway motor generator set; one complete Albergen surface condensing plant; five 250-H.P. water tube boilers.