Beautifully engraved antique stock certificate from the Louisville Southern Railroad Company dating back to the 1880's. This document, which is signed by the company President and Secretary, was printed by the American Bank Note Company, and measures approximately 11 3/4" (w) by 7" (h).
This certificate features a pair of vignettes - a train stopped by a farm at the top and a farming scene at the bottom that includes a plow, wheat sheaf, a sickle, fruits and vegetables and a mill with a water wheel.
You will receive the exact certificate pictured. Please note there is a 1 1/2" tear at the top center (just to the right of the vignette) that has been tape repaired on the verso. It can be seen right above the "S" in Southern in the first picture of the listing.
This line was originally chartered on March 9, 1868 as Louisville, Harrodsburg & Virginia Railroad. The goal was to build from Louisville to Virginia; however the company never laid any track. On April 25, 1884, the name of the line was changed to the Louisville Southern Railroad.
On August 16, 1894 the property and franchise of the Louisville Southern were sold under foreclosure in Louisville. The buyer was C. H. Foster, Chairman of the Richmond Terminal Reorganization Committee. The price was $1,000,000, the minimum sum prescribed by the court, the sale being subject to the lien of the mortgages of June 22, 1887 and January 1, 1889 to the Louisville Safety Vault and Trust Co. The sale was confirmed by Judge Lurton on the 17th and the LS became part of the new Southern Railway in Kentucky.