Intricately engraved antique stock certificate from the Louisville Bridge Company dating back to the 1870's. This document, which is signed by the company President (Elisha Standiford) and Secretary, measures approximately 10 1/2" (w) by 8 1/4" (h).
This piece features a trio of beautifull vignettes - the company's bridge over the Ohio River at the top, and two male figures in the lower corners.
You will receive the exact certificate pictured.
The Jeffersonville Railroad lacked a bridge over the Ohio River to Indiana at Louisville. Consequently, it had to ferry its cars on barges at considerable cost and delay for traffic moving to and from the South.
In 1856 construction of a bridge was authorized by Congress, and in the same year the Louisville Bridge Company was chartered by the Kentucky Legislature. No steps were taken under that charter, so in February 1862, the charter was revived and confirmed.
The Louisville Bridge Company was organized February 17, 1867, with the Jeffersonville, Madison & Indianapolis Railroad and the Louisville and Nashville Railroad as principal stockholders. Work began in the summer of 1867, and the bridge opened for traffic February 24, 1870.
On January 1, 1873, the Louisville Bridge Company was taken over the Pennsylvania Company.
Elisha Standiford's Signature
Elisha David Standiford (December 28, 1831 – July 26, 1887) was a United States Representative from Kentucky. He was born near Louisville, Kentucky. He attended the common schools and St. Mary's College, near Lebanon, Kentucky. He graduated from the Kentucky School of Medicine and commenced practice in Louisville, Kentucky. Later, he abandoned the practice of medicine and engaged in agricultural pursuits and other enterprises.
Standiford was a member of the Kentucky Senate in 1868 and 1871. He was elected as a Democrat to the Forty-third Congress (March 4, 1873 – March 3, 1875) but declined a renomination in 1874 to the Forty-fourth Congress. After leaving Congress, he was president of the Louisville & Nashville Railroad Company from 1875 to 1879. In addition, he engaged in banking and agricultural pursuits. He died in Louisville, Kentucky in 1887 and was buried in Cave Hill Cemetery.
Louisville's largest airport was originally named Standiford Field before being changed to Louisville International Airport in 1995. The airport today still retains the airport code of SDF.