Beautifully engraved antique stock certificate from the Louisville Bridge Company dating back to the early 1900's. This document, which is signed by the company President and Secretary, was a printed by the Falls City Litho Co. and measures approximately 11" (w) by 8 1/2" (h).
This certificate's beautiful vignette features the company's bridge and numerous ships.
You will receive the exact certificate pictured.
The Jeffersonville Railroad lacked a bridge over the Ohio River to Indiana at Louisville. Consequently, it had to ferry its cars on barges at considerable cost and delay for traffic moving to and from the South.
In 1856 construction of a bridge was authorized by Congress, and in the same year the Louisville Bridge Company was chartered by the Kentucky Legislature. No steps were taken under that charter, so in February 1862, the charter was revived and confirmed.
The Louisville Bridge Company was organized February 17, 1867, with the Jeffersonville, Madison & Indianapolis Railroad and the Louisville and Nashville Railroad as principal stockholders. Work began in the summer of 1867, and the bridge opened for traffic February 24, 1870.
On January 1, 1873, the Louisville Bridge Company was taken over the Pennsylvania Company.