Beautifully engraved antique stock certificate from the Long Dock Company dating back to the 1930's. This document, which is signed by the company Vice President and Assistabt Secretary, was printed by Hosford & Ketcham and measures approximately 10 3/4" (w) by 6" (h).
This certificate features an intricate wharf scene running down the left side, complete with ships, a train and a city skyline. A sailor on a dock is shown at the top center and a small paddlewheeler appears at the bottom center.
The Long Dock Company was incorporated February 26, 1856, by special act of the State of New Jersey, for the purpose of constructing a railroad within the limits of Hoboken and Jersey City, New Jersey; also to construct docks, piers, and bulkheads and establish a ferry at or near Pavonia Avenue, Jersey City. The date of organization was March 4, 1856.
The property of the Long Dock Company was operated by various companies and their receivers over the years:
- New-York and Erie Rail-Road Company and its receivers - completion to December 31, 1861.
- Erie Railway Company and its receivers - January 1, 1861 to May 31, 1878.
- The New York, Lake Erie and Western Railroad Company and its receivers - June 1, 1878, to November 30, 1895.
- Erie Railroad Company - December 1, 1895, to December 31, 1917.
The property of the Long Dock Company was taken over for operation by the United States Railroad Administration on January 1, 1918, as a part of the system of the Erie.