Lake Superior Iron & Chemical Co. Stock Certificate
Intricately engraved antique stock certificate from the Lake Superior Iron & Chemical Co. dating back to the early 1900's. This document, which is signed by the company President and Secretary, was printed by the Calvert Litho Co. of Detroit and measures approximately 11 1/2" (w) by 9 1/8" (h).
This certificate features a great vignette of a steamer passing a rock formation known as "The Chapel" on Lake Superior.
You will receive the exact certificate pictured.
The Lake Superior Iron & Chemical Co. was incorporated in Michigan on April 27, 1907, with capital stock of $11,025,007, to take over and operate seven companies.
The properties included six charcoal pig iron furnaces located in Ashland, Wisconsin; Newberry, Manistique, Boyne City, Elk Rapids and Chocolay, Michigan; the Yale Iron mine, with output of about $125,000 tons a year; 137,551 acres of hardwood timber land; and contracts covering cordwood on 190,230 acres additional. It also owned and operated 47 miles of standard gauge railroad in northern Michigan.
The company went into receivership in 1913 before eventually being taken over by the Charcoal Iron Company of America. At the time of the takeover, the Lake Superior Iron & Chemical Co. was the largest producer of charcoal pig iron in the United States.