Intricately engraved antique stock certificate from the Lake Morey Telephone and Telegraph Co. dating back to the early 1900's. This document was printed by Goes and measures approximately 11" (w) by 8 1/4" (h).
The certificate's detailed vignette features an eagle, the Capitol Building and a waterfront city skyline.
The images presented are representative of the piece(s) you will receive. When representative images are presented for one of our offerings, you will receive a certificate in similar condition as the one pictured; however dating, denomination, certificate number and issuance details may vary.
The Lake Morey Telephone and Telegraph Company was incorporated in Vermont and based in Thetford.
Lake Morey, is located in the town of Fairlee, Orange County, Vermont. One of the New Hampshire grants, Fairlee was chartered by Governor Benning Wentworth on September 9, 1761 and awarded to Josiah Channey, Joseph Hubbard and 62 others. It was first settled in 1766. On February 25, 1797, the western half was set off as West Fairlee. The population was 575 by 1859, when it had several sawmills, a gristmill, and an establishment for lead pipe and pumps. The Fairlee Railroad Depot was built in 1848 by the Connecticut & Passumpsic Rivers Railroad. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1998, it is the oldest surviving railroad structure along the Connecticut River.
Lake Morey was named for Samuel Morey (October 23, 1762 – April 17, 1843) - an inventor who worked on early internal combustion engines and was a pioneer in steamships who accumulated a total of 20 patents. Lake Morey claims to have the longest ice skating trail in the United States.
Thetford, Vermont was created on August 12, 1761 by way of a royal charter which King George III of England issued to Governor Benning Wentworth of New Hampshire. Wentworth named it for Augustus Henry Fitzroy, 3rd Duke of Grafton, 4th Earl of Arlington and 4th Viscount Thetford, who in 1768 became prime minister. It was first settled in 1764 by John Chamberlin, who lived at East Thetford beside the Connecticut River. He was an agent for one of 62 proprietors (51 from Hebron, Connecticut).
In 1910, the Camp Fire Girls were founded locally. This became a national organization within two years.