Lake Copper Company (Signed by William A. Paine of Paine Webber Fame)
Beautifully engraved antique stock certificate from the Lake Copper Company dating back to the 1920's. This document, which is signed by the company President (William A. Paine) and Secretary, was printed by the Republic Bank Note Company, and measures approximately 11" (w) by 8" (h).
This certificate's intricate vignette shows an allegorical female figure holding a winged wheel. Behind her is a large group of miners and factories.
The Lake Copper Company was incorporated in Michigan on November 27, 1905.
The company owned over 2,010 acres in Michigan's copper belt, including 1,150 acres of mineral land, 680 acres of timber lands and 180 acres of cutover lands.
William A. Paine
William A. Paine's Signature
Born in Amesbury, Massachusetts, William A. Paine was the son of Albert Paine and Sarah (Sergeant) Paine. He began his career in finance in 1873 as a clerk at a bank in Boston. In 1880, with a loan from his father, he partnered with Wallace G. Webber to create the brokerage firm, Paine, Webber & Company. They became members of both the Boston and New York Stock Exchanges.
Outside of building a successful brokerage business, Paine was involved in the major mining venture, Copper Range Consolidated Company in the "Copper Country" of Michigan. In 1899, he invested in the Copper Range Consolidated Company and helped arrange the financing for the company. He then served as president of the company.
After running his highly successful brokerage business for nearly fifty years, Paine died on September 24, 1929, just a few weeks before the Wall Street Crash of 1929.