Nicely engraved antique stock certificate from the Laclede Gas Light Company dating back to the 1890's. This document, which has been signed by the company President, was printed by the Franklin Bank Note Company, and measures approximately 11 1/2" (w) by 7" (h).
This certificate's vignette features gas storage tanks surrounded by a wall. Outside, people and horse drawn carriages navigate a city street.
You will receive the exact certificate pictured.
Founded in 1857, the Laclede Gas Company and several smaller companies merged in 1889 with the St. Louis Gas Light Company to form the Laclede Gas Light Company, which held a monopoly on the manufacture and supply of gas in St. Louis. by 1950, Laclede Gas Company dropped "Light" from its name, reflecting the firm's growing role as a supplier of fuel for heating and cooking.
This company was one of the original 12 Dow Jones components when the exchange opened on May 26, 1896. The other 11 companies were:
American Cotton Oil
Distilling & Cattle Feeding
Tennessee Coal & Iron
U.S. Leather (preferred)