Beautifully engraved antique stock certificate from the Knoxville & Ohio Railroad Company dating back to the 1880's. This document, which has been signed by the company President, was printed by Corlies, Macy & Co., Stationers, and measures approximately 10 1/4" (w) by 6 3/4" (h).
Beautiful piece with four vignettes - large train landscapes at the center and right, a mining scene at the left and the Tennessee State Seal at the bottom.
You will receive the exact certificate pictured.
In 1855 the Knoxville and Kentucky Railroad was chartered to provide access to the coalfields of Anderson County. At the time Knoxville was using around 10,000 tons of coal annually and Knox County as well as the City of Knoxville signed up for stock to support the venture. By 1861 tracks had reached Copper Ridge (Powell), but that was as far as it got until after the Civil War. Around 1869 the line was re-organized as the Knoxville and Ohio Railroad.
The line reached Coal Creek/Lake City and by 1877 Caryville and by 1882 Jellico. During 1881 the line came under control of the East Tennesse, Virginia & Georgia. From 1882 till 1905 the K&O handled all of the Louisville & Northern traffic from Jellico to Knoxville. When the L&N built its own line south of Jellico, trackage rights were obtained between Jellico and Holton and the branch was built to the Fonde and Clear Creek coalfields.
The line was controlled by the East Tennessee, Virginia and Georgia Railroad Company (1881-94) and then by the Southern Railway Company after 1894.