Intricately engraved antique bond certificate from the Johnstown and Somerset Railway Company dating back to the early 1900's. This document, which has been signed by the company President and Secretary, was printed by the Security Bank Note Company, and measures approximately 10 1/4" (w) by 15" (h).
This certificate's vignette features a trolley car flanked by a mill scene at the left and a farmer with a horse at the right.
The Johnstown and Somerset Railway Company was organized in 1916 to provide a single-track trolley service from Johnstown to Somerset, the company was limited to providing service between the Somerset County communities of Kelso, Hollsopple, and Jerome.
At its inception, Johnstown passengers rode the Johnstown Traction Company line to Kelso and transferred to the J & S Railway line. In October of 1922, direct service was provided between Johnstown and these communities with a one-seat ride.
Automobile competition lead to the failure of the company in 1931.
The Jerome Line service operated approximately every two hours, with a single one-way trip taking about 60 minutes.