Beautifully engraved antique stock certificate from the J. F. Howard, Incorporated dating back to the 1920's. This document, which is signed by the company President and Treasurer, was printed by the Franklin-Lee Division of the American Bank Note Company and measures approximately 11 1/4" (w) by 7 1/2" (h).
The vignette features an eagle with wings outstretched perched atop an American flag.
You will receive the exact certificate pictured.
The Howard story begins with the birth of its founder, John F. Howard, in 1854 in Stowe, Maine. His parents moved to New Hampshire when he was a year old where he lived until 1868. At the age of 14 he left home to make his fortune in the west.
A few years later, minus the fortune, he returned to the East Coast, and settled in the thriving shoe town of Haverhill, Massachusetts. He tried various ventures in the next few years, and in the early 1890s became the proprietor of two hotels, one in Haverhill, and the other in the town of Bradford across the river. He married, and with his wife Margaret, working in the barn behind their house in Bradford, began what was to become Howard Foods. Inspired by the success of his hotel restaurants, and after much experimentation in their kitchen at home, he and his wife devised recipes which were so good that in a short time they were inundated with orders from all over the world. In 1900 the Howard products were awarded the Grand Prix at the International Exhibition in Paris for purity and quality.
In December of 1924 John Howard sold the business to Arthur D. Dickson, and the firm incorporated. In May of 1926 Howard Foods was merged with the C.E. Chapin Company, founded in 1872, makers of the then equally famous Mrs. Chapin’s Pickles, Relish and Condiments. The combined corporations were reorganized in the new Howard Foods plant by the river in Haverhill, under the name of Howard Foods.
Howard Foods Inc., was eventually sold and moved successively to Methuen and Woburn, both in Massachusetts, and then to Manchester, New Hampshire. It has been owned variously by ERE Industries Inc., John Labatt Limited of Canada, and Campbell Soup Company (Canada).