Beautifully engraved antique stock certificate from the J. C. Brill Company dating back to the 1910's. This document, which has been signed by the company President and Treasurer, was printed by the American Bank Note Company and measures approximately 11 3/4" (w) by 8" (h).
This certificate's vignette features an eagle on a crag.
The J. G. Brill Company manufactured streetcars and buses in the United States. The company was founded by John George Brill in 1868 as a horsecar manufacturing firm in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
In 1944, Brill merged with the American Car and Foundry Company to form the ACF-Brill Motors Company. On January 31, 1946, controlling interest in ACF-Brill was acquired by Consolidated Vultee Aircraft Corporation for $7.5 million. Consolidated Vultee was sold on November 6, 1947, to the Nashville Corporation, which sold its share to investment firm Allen & Co headed by Charles Allen Jr. on June 11, 1951. In early 1954, ACF-Brill ceased production and subcontracted remaining orders. The properties were sold, and on December 30, 1955, the company was merged with supermarket companies into ACF-Wrigley Stores Inc.