Nicely engraved antique stock certificate from the J. B. Lang Engine and Garage Co. dating back to the 1920's. This document, which is signed by the company President and Treasurer, was printed by Goes and measures approximately 10 3/4" (w) by 8" (h).
The vignette features the Liberty allegorical holding a shield, with Noah's Ark, lightning and sunbeams in the background.
You will receive the exact certificate pictured. PLEASE NOTE paper loss in upper right corner and lower right corner.
The Lang and Button Co. was formed in 1907 by Ernest Button (who has signed this piece) and John Lang and manufactured engines, boilers and machinery.
Button graduated from Cornell University in civil engineering and partnered with Lang after marrying Lang's daughter. The company building was located at 117-129 E. Green Street in downtown Ithaca.
Lang and Button both grew up in New York state and became noteworthy figures in the Ithaca community — Button served as fire commissioner, and Lang acted as director of the Ithaca Conservatory of Music and as the town's sixth mayor.
The company passed to Button's son John, who changed the name to J.B. Lang Engine and Garage Co. and produced steam engines until the mid 1920's.