Nicely engraved antique stock certificate from the International Automobile and Vehicle Tire Company dating back to the early 1900's. This document, which is signed by the company President and Assistant Treasurer, was printed by the Broun-Green Company and measures approximately 11 1/2" (w) by 9 1/4" (h).
This certificate's vignette features the New Jersey State Seal.
You will receive the exact certificate pictured.
The International Automobile and Vehicle Tire Company was incorporated in New Jersey in 1899.
The International A. & V. Tire Co. was engaged in the manufacture of solid rubber and pneumatic tires for all types of vehicles such as bicycles, carriages, motorcycles, automobiles and trucks. It produced goods for its own brands as well as for other manufacturers—in 1901 it produced tires for Kelly-Springfield Rubber Tire Company in Davenport, Iowa. In spite of what its name may indicate, the International Automobile & Vehicle Tire Co. also produced other manufactured rubber products for utilities other than motor vehicles, such as rubber components for machinery or for sanitary, medical and surgical uses.
In July 1902, the necessary machinery was transferred to s new site in Milltown for the factory to be set up. The factory was already operational in August. It produced solidrubber and pneumatic tires for other companies, such as the Kempshall Cushion Pneumatic Tire model for the Rubber Tire Company of America in 1902, the Apex tire, the Blaurock Puncture Proof and Stodder tires - the latter, after acquiring the rights in 1904. They also manufactured their own brands such as the Fox brand - licensed by G & J Tire Co. - or Endurance.
In 1904 the International A. & V. Tire Co manufactured single-tube bicycle tires -the outer casing/cover and the air-tight tube are vulcanized together to form a single hollow tube, similar to a rubber hose - under eleven different brands, and increased the catalog offerings to sixteen the following year.
In 1905, it started producing double-tube bicycle tires - a tire composed of two separate parts: an outer casing/cover and an inner tube inserted inside of the casing - for the first time, under the brands International Chase Roadster Double Tube and Newton Roadster Double Tube. These were added to the model of inner tubes already launched two years before, the International Fox Brand.
The 1905 catalog was complemented by a line of accessories - valves, patches and glue for automobile tire repairs - as well as motorcycle tires.
In 1906, the company was granted the license to apply the technology of anti-skid rubber treads developed by C. J. Bailey & Co. of Boston to its pneumatic tires, which soon became an industry standard.
By the beginning of 1907 the company already counted on delegations in eight cities:
- Los Angeles
- San Francisco
In 1907, the French company Michelin conducted market studies at the international scale. They were determined to install their own factory in foreign lands, and their attention was drawn to the International A. & V. Tire Company in Milltown.