Intricately engraved antique stock certificate from the Ideal Steel Wheel Co., Inc. dating back to the 1920's. This document, which has been signed by the company Vice President and Secretary, was printed by Goes and measures approximately 10 1/2" (w) by 8" (h).
This certificate's vignette features an allegorical female figure sitting on a dynamo. A trolley and a factory appear in the background.
The Ideal Steel Wheel Co., Inc. was incorporated in New York in 1924. The company was based in the First National Bank Building in Cincinnati, Ohio.
The Ideal wheel replaced the spokes of an ordinary wheel with ten elliptical steel springs, each of which was made of two strips of thin spring steel sprung between hub and rim to the proper tension. These strips fastened to both the rim and the hub.
When assembled the spring strips beared radially against one another, thus bracing and counterbracing. When assembled, the springs were designed to give both lateral and radial support. In action, each spring carried a portion of the load.
This allowed the company to use airless tubes.