Huntingdon Valley Country Club (Issued to Charles D. Barney)
Beautifully engraved antique stock certificate from the Huntingdon Valley Country Club dating back to the 1930's. This document, which has been issued to famous financier Charles D. Barney, is signed by the company President and Treasurer, was printed by the Security Bank Note Company and measures approximately 11" (w) by 7" (h).
This certificate's vignette features the Pennsylvania State Seal.
You will receive the exact certificate pictured.
The Huntingdon Valley Country Club was organized in 1896 at the suggestion of George H. Frazier to his father William W. Frazier. He and a group of friends had previously been playing the game of golf on a rough layout across several of their estates. The club was incorporated and first played in 1897.
The original Huntingdon Valley Golf Course was situated on either side of Susquehanna Road just north of Jenkintown, Pennsylvania.
The club was known as one of the first places to play the sport of squash. It started one of the very first tournaments for squash in the early 1900s.
In the mid-1920's, the leaders of the Club decided to move to a new location, due to the interference from the increased automobile traffic on Susquehanna and Valley Roads. Six holes of the golf course crossed these two roads. There is no record of any fatalities resulting from the mixing of automobiles and golf balls, although a few balls went through the open sides of these early automobiles, missing both drivers and passengers.
The site selected for the new HVCC was part of a huge tract of land owned by the estate of W.W. Frazier. He was the Club's first President, a Civil War veteran and a respected business man who died in 1933 at the age of 83. Most of the land purchased by the Club was a working dairy farm in what was then Moreland Township (now Upper Moreland); however, a portion of the property is in Abington Township. The site, which was bounded by Edge Hill, Terwood, Paper Mill and Welsh Roads, was assembled primarily from the estate of W.W. Frazier. However, some additional land had to be purchased from Edward E. Marshall Sr., when it was discovered that a portion of the new golf course had been constructed beyond the boundary of the Club's property.
Charles D. Barney
This piece is issued to - but not signed by - Charles D. Barney.
Barney was a member of the Huntingdon Valley Country Club and for a time served as the club's Treasurer.
Barney was born in Sandusky, Ohio, the son of a grain merchant. Barney attended the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor, Michigan when the American Civil War broke out. Barney's older brother was killed and at the end of 1862, Barney was permitted by his family to enlist in the U.S. Army. After the war, Barney worked briefly as a clerk at a bank in Sandusky.
After two years, Barney moved to Philadelphia, where he married Laura E. Cooke, the daughter of prominent Philadelphia financier Jay Cooke, joining the firm of Jay Cooke & Company Following the collapse of his father-in-law's Philadelphia banking house, in 1873, Barney reorganized the firm as Chas. D. Barney & Co. Barney's brother-in-law, Jay Cooke, Jr., joined the new firm as a minority partner.
Barney retired from day-to-day control of the firm in 1906 but remained involved through the 1930s. In 1938, Charles D. Barney & Co. and Edward B. Smith & Co. merged to form Smith Barney & Co.
Barney died in 1945 at the age of 101 at Elkins Park, Pennsylvania near Philadelphia. At the time of his death, Barney was among the oldest living veterans of the American Civil War.
Barney was a director of the Union League of Philadelphia.