Beautifully engraved antique stock certificate from the Hudson Bay Mining and Smelting Co., Ltd. dating back to the 1940's. This document, which carries the printed signatures of the company President and Secretary, was printed by the American Bank Note Company and measures approximately 11 1/2" (w) by 7 1/2" (h).
This certificate features a great vignette of a dog sled team in front of a mining operation.
You will receive the exact certificate pictured.
The Flin Flon, Manitoba orebody was discovered by David Collins, a local trapper, and shown to prospector Tom Creighton in 1914. The first claim was registered in 1915. It took more than a dozen years to bring the mine into production because the huge, high grade ore body required large amounts of hydro energy, was isolated, and copper production required a smelter.
In 1927, Cornelius Vanderbilt Whitney (a member of the Whitney family of New York) founded Hudson Bay Mining & Smelting, which took over controlling interest in the Flin Flon property. By 1930, the mine, smelter, hydroelectric dam and railroad were in full operation.
On December 21, 2004, OntZinc Corporation acquired HBM&S for C$316 million from Anglo American plc. The purchase was financed by a public offering of C$143.8 million of equity and the issue of US$175 million of debt. The company then changed its name to Hudbay Minerals Inc.