Beautifully engraved antique stock certificate from the Hooven & Allison Company dating back to the 1890's. This document, which has been signed by the company President and Secretary, measures approximately 10 1/4" (w) by 7 1/4" (h).
This certificate's vignette features one of the company's spools of twine.
You will receive the exact certificate pictured.
The Hooven & Allison Company was organized in 1869 for the purpose of making handmade twine. In the spring of 1876, Robert A. Kelly, who had joined the company just after its incorporation, suggested that a better and cheaper twine could be made via a mechanized process. The first spool of hemp twine produced via the new automated method came in 1876.
One of the original founders, Mr. Hooven, died in 1881, after which time Kelly formed a partnership with remaining founder, M. C. Allison, with the firm name remaining Hooven & Allison. Allison died on May 3, 1888 and two months later a stock company was organized, with the incorporators being Jacob Harbine (who has signed this piece as company President,) J. D. Steele (who has signed this piece as the company Secretary,) W. B. Harrison, KELLY and Mrs. Fanny Allison.
The company manufactured hemp, jute, manilla and sisal goods, as well as cotton goods. In addition to the operation in Xenia, the company operated a cotton mill in Zanesville under the same charter. This mill had been purchased by Hooven & Allison in 1879.