Beautifully engraved bond stock certificate from the Homer Wagon Company dating back to the 1880's. This document, which is signed by the company President and Secreatry/Treasurer, was printed by Corlies, Macy & Co. and measures approximately 16 1/2" (w) by 13 3/4" (h).
This certificate's vignette features the company's Court Street wagon works.
You will receive the exact certificate pictured.
The Homer Wagon Company was originally incorporated in New York in 1882.
In the fall of 1887, the business moved to Cortland, locating in the old
shops on Railroad Street. The following year, the company moved to their new works - pictured on this certificate - on Court Street.
In December 1888, the new factory was running. The main building, occupyied three sides of a square and was built entirely of brick. It was three
stories high, and was surmounted by three towers - the elevator and water towers. It was five hundred feet long and was equipped with automatic sprinklers as a protection against fire; and electric fire alarms, time clock and electric watchman's clock. The buildings occupied two acres of ground and had a capacity for turning out five thousand jobs a year.
A switch track connecting with the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western Railroad ran into the premises so that work could be loaded for shipment. The cost of the build
ings was sixty-five thousand dollars.
On January 4, 1892, the name of the company was changed to the H. M. Whitney Company.
On November 3, 1897, the name was changed to The H. M. Whitney Wagon Company.