Beautifully engraved antique stock certificate from the Hiller Aircraft Corporation dating back to the 1960's. This document, which carries the printed signatures of the company President and Secretary, was a printed by the Franklin-Lee Division of the American Bank Note Company, and measures approximately 11 1/2" (w) by 7 1/2" (h).
This certificate's intricate vignette features two allegorical angel-like figures flanking the globe. Arrows represent the updraft used by helicopters to become airborne.
You will receive the exact certificate pictured.
Stanley Hiller, then seventeen, established the first helicopter factory on the West Coast of the United States, located in Berkeley, California, in 1942, under the name "Hiller Industries," to develop his design for the coaxial-rotor XH-44 "Hiller-Copter" for the U.S. Army. The XH-44 became operational in 1944. In collaboration with Henry J. Kaiser, it became United Helicopters in 1945. In the postwar years, United Helicopter produced a number of innovative helicopter designs for military and civilian purposes, including coaxial-rotor and tailless designs, as well as more conventional models. In January, 1949, a Hiller 360 became the first civilian helicopter to cross the United States.
Besides helicopters, in the year after World War II, Stanley Hiller researched a two-man rocket-jet aircraft design that took off and landed vertically, called the VJ-100, in which he tried unsuccessfully to interest the U.S. military.
The company was renamed Hiller Helicopters in 1948 and then the Hiller Aircraft Corporation in 1958. It was involved in the development of a number of prototype helicopters. From the early 1960s to 1969, its Palo Alto plant served as a CIA cover for the production of the CORONA reconnaissance satellites.
Hiller was purchased by Fairchild Aircraft in 1964.