Beautifully engraved antique stock certificate from the Harrisburg Steel Corporation dating back to the 1950's. This document, which is signed by the company Vice President and Treasurer, was printed by the E. A. Wright Bank Note Company, and measures approximately 11 3/4" (w) by 8" (h).
This certificate features a vignette of the Pennsylvania State Seal.
You will receive the exact certificate pictured.
This company traces its roots to 1742, when Taylor-Wharton, a unit of the company since 1953, began operations as a High Bridge, New Jersey iron forge. Early products included cannon balls for George Washington's Continental Army.
Predecessor companies built some of the country's first oil tank cars for the American railroads. Its high-strength manganese steel dredging buckets helped dig the Panama Canal, while its manganese steel trackwork was crucial to the increasingly heavy loads of America's railroads. Its skill at pipe bending and coil making helped open the way to modern refrigeration and cooling. Company engineers were also involved in the development of seamless steel airplane propellers, and one plant even made custom gears for Charles Lindbergh's "Spirit of St. Louis."
With the dawn of the 20th century, the company established itself as an internationally-recognized leader in the production of high-pressure gas cylinders, producing America’s first seamless gas cylinders. Later, the company would begin producing a range of specialty steel products, leading the company to change its name to the Harrisburg Steel Corporation in 1935.
Harrisburg Steel Corporation became "Harsco" in 1956, reflecting the company's expansion into new products and markets as a diversified industrial organization.
Today's Harsco is a global industrial services and products specialist with over 400 operating locations in 40 countries, and more than 18,000 employees.