Beautifully engraved antique stock certificate from the Harrisburg Railways Company dating back to the 1910's. This document, which is signed by the company Vice President and Assistant Treasurer, was printed by the Security Bank Note Company, and measures approximately 11 1/2" (w) by 8 1/2" (h).
This certificate's fantastic vignette features a pair of allegorical male figures flanking the Pennsylvania State Capitol Building.
You will receive the exact certificate pictured.
In 1913, the Harrisburg Traction Company created a subsidiary named Harrisburg Railways Company. By the 1950's American Transportation Enterprises acquired the company. Under ATE in 1953, another subsidiary, Keystone Charter Service began operating charter services, and that subsidiary grew its reach further in 1962, by acquiring Bushey Bus Service and merging it with Keystone Charter Service.
Harrisburg Railways Company grew further, by acquiring the assets of the Valley Transportation Company, after it abandoned bus service to the "West Shore" of Harrisburg in 1970.
After the Harrisburg Railways Company claimed bankruptcy and becoming insolvent, the City of Harrisburg, and counties of Cumberland and Dauphin created the Cumberland-Dauphin Transportation Authority, and service was surrendered to its subsidiary Capital Area Transit in 1973.
Timeline of major events in Harriburg's transportation history:
- 1865: The first known public transportation line began with a horse-drawn trolley.
- 1873: Harrisburg City Passenger Railway purchases the previous line operation between Harrisburg and McClay Street, and begins service.
- 1875: Harrisburg and Middletown Omnibus Company was organized to connect Middletown with the trolley service.
- 1888: First test run of an electric trolley by the East Harrisburg Passenger Railway.
- 1895: Harrisburg Traction Company formed by a merger of Harrisburg City Railway and Citizens Passenger Railway Company.
- 1913: Harrisburg Traction Company formed Harrisburg Railways Company.
- 1933: Ten buses purchased to convert three streetcar lines to bus service.
- 1936: Fleet numbers 421 (Conodoquinet) and 425 (Mahantango) purchased new. These two coaches were cut down after receipt, creating open-air coaches, used in parades, and some limited special charter work. The names come from two Native American tribes, that were based along the Susquehanna River.
- 1937: Harrisburg Traction Company changes name to Harrisburg Railways Company.
- 1939: The last Harrisburg Railways Trolley was operated on July 16, 1939 on the Middletown line some 74 years after the introduction of horse drawn trolley service and 66 years after the introduction of electric powered trolley service in Harrisburg. A fleet of 135 buses were now available to serve Harrisburg and "East Shore" Communities.
- 1953: Harrisburg Railways Company creates subsidiary Keystone Charter Service to offer charter services to customers.
- 1955 Harrisburg Railways Company becomes a subsidiary of American Transportation Enterprises, a management firm based in Cincinnati, OH.
- 1962: Harrisburg Railways Company acquires assets of Bushey Bus Service, extending charter services to places previously not offered.
- 1970: Valley Transportation Company abandons "West Shore" service, Harrisburg Railways Company takes over to continue offering the service.
- 1973: Harrisburg Railways Company transfers assets to Capital Area Transit.