Intricately engraved antique stock certificate from Gyro Air Lines, Inc. dating back to the 1930's. This document, which is signed by the company President and Secretary, measures approximately 10 1/4" (w) by 6" (h).
This certificate's vignette features the company's logo.
You will receive the exact certificate pictured.
Gyro Air Lines, Inc. was incorporated in Arizona in 1933. The company was formed in the hopes of establishing an airline that featured Crusader airplanes.
Their airplane was the AG-4 Crusader (the Crusader Aircraft Corporation was Gyro Air Lines' parent company.) It was originally called the Shelton Flying-Wing, although it did not resemble any later flying wing types. It was an all-metal airplane, with twin-boom, twin-engine, twin-empennage, much like the soon-to-be manufactured P-38. The engines were two 125hp Menasco C-4s.
The fuselage was a nacelle suspended between the booms. In the original, the wheels did not retract. Later in 1935, the landing gear was modified and made retractable. In the image below, it appears as if the airplane has retractable gear. The fixed-gear version had large fairings around the wheels and struts.
In 1936, the American Gyro Company sold the plans for the Crusader to the Timm Aircraft Company, which proposed to build a retractable-gear AG-7. However, financing problems prevented any further development and/or production.
The Crusader Aircraft Corporation filed for bankruptcy in 1938, but American Gyro hung on independently through the 1940's.