Beautifully engraved antique stock certificate from the Great Atlantic & Pacific Tea Company, Inc. dating back to the 1960's. This document, which carries the printed signatures of the company President or Chairman of the Board and Treasurer, was printed by the American Bank Note Company and measures approximately 12" (w) by 8" (h).
This certificate features two female allegorical figures - one of which holds a cornucopia, the other a scythe and some harvested grains - flanking the A&P logo.
You will receive the exact certificate pictured.
The Great American Tea Company was founded in 1859 as a mail order business by tea and spice merchants George Huntington Hartford and George Gilman. The first store was opened in 1861 in New York City at the corner of Broadway and Grand Street selling various teas and coffees.
In 1870, the company is renamed The Great Atlantic and Pacific Tea Company, in honor of the transcontinental railroad. By 1876, with 100 stores, A&P becomes the nation's first major grocery chain.
In 1912, the first Economy Store (a new grocery store concept with a limited product assortment) is opened in Jersey City, New Jersey. In 1924, the A&P Radio Hour becomes America's first national radio program.
By 1930, A&P dominates the supermarket business and introduces private label products at substantial savings to customers. In 1937, Woman's Day magazine is started through a wholly-owned company subsidiary. It sells for two cents, and soon becomes a top seller.
Between 1983 and 1990 the company acquires Kohl’s Supermarkets, Dominion Stores, Shopwell-Food Emporium, Waldbaums, Farmer Jacks and Miracle Food Mart.