Goldfield Consolidated Mines Company
Nicely engraved antique stock certificate from the Goldfield Consolidated Minies Company dating back to the 1950's. This document, which is signed by two of the company's officers, measures approximately 10 3/4" (w) by 7 1/2" (h).
You will receive the exact certificate pictured.
The Goldfield Consolidated Mines Company was incorporated in Wyoming on November 13, 1906.
The Consolidated, formed by the partnership of Senator George Nixon and George Wingfield, dominated much of the financial and political activity in Goldfield, Nevada throughout the producing years'of the district.
Nixon and Wingfield's efforts to consolidate all of the Goldfield mines began in late 1906 when they purchased the majority holdings in the Jumbo and Red Top Companies. The rich Mohawk mining properties were also acquired in late 1906 and together these mines formed the nucleus for the Goldfield Consolidated Mines Company. In January 1907 both the Combination Mines and the Goldfield Mining Company were added to the merger thus placing all of the operating mines in Goldfield, except the Florence Company, in the control of Nixon and Wingfield.
From this position of economic and political power, Wingfield helped effect the series of carefully orchestrated moves which led to the end of the Miners Union strike of 1906-08 and the breaking of unionism in Goldfield.
The Consolidated's contributions to mining engineering were also important. In an attempt to reduce operating costs, the company constructed the Consolidated Mill in 1907-1908. Designed as a 100 stamp mill, it was the largest in Goldfield and, through the efforts of Wingfield, soon became the model of efficiency and safety for other mills throughout the country.
The Consolidated eventually came under the control of Wingfield in April 1908 when he traded his banking interests to Nixon in return for Nixon's mining Stock. Wingfield continued to control the company through the depression until 1932.