Frankford & Southwark Philadelphia City Passenger Railroad Company
Beautifully engraved antique stock certificate from the Frankford & Southwark Philadelphia City Passenger Railroad Company dating back to the 1870's. This document, which is signed by the company President and Treasurer, was printed by the American Bank Note Company and measures approximately 11 3/4" (w) by 7 3/4" (h).
This piece has two intricate vignettes. At the top, the Philadelphia City Seal and Independence Hall are flanked by a soldier and a female allegorical (America.) Hovering above is a second allegorical (Fame.) Behind them are a train and a ship. At the bottom, a horse-drawn trolley navigates a busy city street.
You will receive the exact certificate pictured.
In April 1858, the Philadelphia & Delaware Railroad Company - which had beem incorporated four years earlier - became the Frankford & Southwark Philadelphia City Passenger Railroad Company. The line was the first of the many traction and motor companies incorporated to serve Philadelphia.
The line ran from Kensington to Southwark, and was known as the "Fifth and Sixth Street Line."