Beautifully engraved antique stock certificate from the Four Wheel Drive Auto Co. dating back to the 1910's. This document, which is signed by the company President and Secretary, was printed by Goes and measures approximately 10 1/2" (w) by 8 1/2" (h).
This certificate features a vignette of a moose at the top and a bold underprint of a beaver at the bottom.
The Four Wheel Drive Auto Company (FWD) sold its first car in 1911. The company was formed in Wisconsin, by Zachow and Besserdich, and the latter was subsequently involved in setting a company that took its name from the town of Oshkosh and manufactured 4x4 trucks.
FWD supplied 4x4 trucks to both the British and US armies during World War One. In 1920 the company decided to enter the field with a factory converted rail truck. It was a standard truck with minimal changes. This allowed other FWD chassis to be converted locally. On the other hand, when the railroads got better equipment or got tired of the bone jarring ride or unreliability under this strenuous use, they could be reconverted to road use.
By 1924, FWD was out of the business of making motor cars but continued making trucks and buses.