Beautifully engraved antique stock certificate from the First National Bank of Woodbury dating back to the 1910's. This document, which is signed by the company President and Cashier, was printed by Wm. F. Murphy & Sons, Stationer, Philadelphia and measures approximately 11 1/4" (w) by 6 3/4" (h).
The certificate features a series of vignettes, including a group of livestock and horses, the New Jersey State Seal, and eagle atop a shield and two small scenes flanking the company seal at the bottom center.
You will receive the exact certificate pictured.
The First National Bank of Woodbury was formed in Woodbury, New Jersey in 1865.
The bank eventually became part of the Wells Fargo system.
Woodbury, located in Gloucester County, was founded in 1683 by Henry Wood, a Quaker from the Northwest of England, who had left Great Britain due to religious persecution. Wood was incarcerated in Lancaster gaol for practicing as a Quaker and left his home in the village of Tottington, near Bury, Lancashire, in a boat to set up a community in the new world where he and his family could practice his religion freely. His surname and his home town went to make up the name of the city he founded – Woodbury.