Beautifully engraved antique stock certificate from the First National Bank of Cooperstown dating back to the 1880's. This document, which is signed by the company President and Cashier, was printed by Dennison & Company and measures approximately 9 3/4" (w) by 6 3/4" (h).
The certificate features four vignettes - the New York State Seal, a Leatherstocking soldier, an eagle and the Liberty allegory.
The First National Bank of Cooperstown was organized in 1864, with an intent to "acquire the circulation privilege of federal bank notes and to become a depository of federal funds."
The company's original branch was located on Main Street in Cooperstown and now is home the "Heroes of Baseball" wax museum.
In 1974, the First National Bank of Cooperstown merged with the Bankers Trust Company of Albany.