Beautifully engraved antique stock certificate from the First National Bank of Biddeford dating back to the 1940's. This document, which is signed by the company President and Cashier, was printed by the New England Bank Note Company and measures approximately 9 1/8" (w) by 6" (h).
The certificate's vignette features a female figure with an Enterprise crest. Behind her are a ship and a train crossing a bridge.
The First National Bank of Biddeford was chartered in Maine in 1856.
The bank operated independently until 1981 when it became part of the Maine National Bank.
Through an endless series of acquisitions, it became part of the Fleet National Bank and later Bank of America.
The company's original location was at 208 Main Street in Biddeford.